Prevent Carjackings - While Driving
By Maryland Vehicle Theft Prevention Council
Monday, March 17, 2008; 7:00 pm
Page 2 of 4
Driving In Your Vehicle
- Drive on well-travelled, well-lighted roads when you can.
- Keep the doors locked.
- Check your mirrors often.
- Leave an escape route when you stop at intersections.
- Use the center lane. This makes it harder to be approached.
- Stay alert at all times.
- Be alert when approaching automated teller machines.
- If you are approached, do not lower your window or open the door.
- Be alert for anyone who seems to be watching your car.
- If you suspect you are being followed, do not go home. Go to a police station or other safe public place.
- Keep your vehicle in good operating condition to avoid breakdowns.
- Have your vehicle windows etched with the Vehicle Identification Number.
- Register your vehicle with the Maryland Watch Your Car program.
- If you feel threatened, use your car horn or alarm system to signal for help.